Pages

Thursday 20 August 2009

Strange new worlds

Chatting with Ben recently over MSN he mentioned one of Igor Ledochowski's exercises called "strange new worlds", which is supposed to help build trust between conscious and subconscious minds. The idea is to describe a scene or story out loud, but to talk too quickly to allow conscious consideration of what's being said.

I tried this exercise last night and the results were quite... interesting. I started from the point of a friend of mine who wants a 'cello, although many of us suspect that what he actually wants is a 'cellist. In mere minutes I had invented the concept of the Scandanavian ninja 'cellist elite. A ruthless band of blonde female mercenary musicians dressed in black skinsuits and highly agile on skis, their instruments slung across their backs. They had kidnapped my friend and, via a video link from their secret base on Svalbard, were demanding a ransom as they held a bow to his throat. Fear would hardly describe the expression on his face in this perilous situation.

I don't know what any of this says about my subconscious; it already has much to answer for. I am going to retain the movie rights for "Strings of fire and ice" though.

No comments: