Pages

Saturday 4 July 2009

Worlds apart

It seems that it is impossible for any knowledge to be acquired by humanity without somebody somewhere trying to find sexual applications for it; if you don't believe me I suggest you visit the Internet. I therefore find it unsurprising that there people out there who have a sexual interest in hypnosis. In fact, there is quite a large community of such people to be found online if one knows where to look.

Interestingly this world appears to be largely disconnected from the mainstream, visible and public world of hypnosis, with which I generally like to associate myself and this blog. I believe that it is important to keep these two worlds firmly apart, keeping each in their appropriate context; the main reason for this being for the sake of people's comfort zones, admittedly including my own. I do, however, make no secret of the fact that there are certain aspects of this hidden side of hypnosis that interest me, and about which it's about time I wrote something; not least because most mainstream hypnotists tend not to talk about it.

My attention was first brought to this other side of hypnosis, "hypnofetishism", by my own apparent inability to be hypnotised. I was frustrated and I wanted to know more, so I started looking for written accounts about what it was like being hypnotised. Try it if you like; it's very difficult to find any. I have a theory that the kind of people who are best able to look critically at an experience and write a description of it in detail are actually by definition the worst possible hypnotic subjects for exactly the same reason! In the end I did start to find and read accounts and these were all blogs written by hypnofetishists.

Now, when performing stage hypnosis or impromptu hypnosis, what the hypnotist wants is to find the best subject ot subjects they can. Ideally they can use selection procedures to find the people with the best natural suggestibility to get the most dramatic results for a watching audience. If the subject doesn't go under too bad; the hypnotist can simply move on to another who does. Hypnotherapists do not need to produce theatrical results but as far as I understand they too usually have the luxuary of working with subjects who have at least some decent foundation to their natural ability to go into trance; I have heard two well known hypnotists (Jon Chase and Sean Michael Andrews) say in interviews that people who don't hypnotise easily tend not to go to hypnotherapists anyway. I think it is for these reasons that I found the mainstream expertise to be rather useless with regards my own situation, namely being a very poor subject but really wanting to experience hypnosis just for the heck of it. I will not repeat my "let go" rant; I believe I have already made that point enough times.

If, however, we consider hypnosis in the context of a romantic or sexual relationship it is needless to say that discarding the subject in favour of a better one is not really an option. Hypnotist and subject both have to work with and develop what they have. It is here that hypnofetishists are well aware of something that mainstream hypnotists seem not to be, or at least don't advertise, which is that anybody who really wants to be deeply hypnotised can be if they take the time to learn, including people who at first seem completely unable to even enter a trance.

I know I keep repeating that piece of information, but in my opinion it's important to hammer it home.

Anybody who has met Liz, who co-writes the Hypnofantastico blog with her boyfriend (and personal hypnotist) Lex, cannot help but be amazed by her abilities as a subject. Most noteworthy however is that she is not naturally a good subject, actually she's very analytical in nature, and has the kind of mindset that questions, analyses, describes, and... well... blogs. Her ability to enter trance easily and deeply is something that she has learned over time, with quite a slow start, and her story is far from unique in their world. it was, however, that story that got us talking.

Hypnofantastico and other blogs like it are hardly indicative of my own desired uses for hypnosis, especially with complete strangers in a pub, but Lex and Liz are fun people to be around and it is very interesting to see how far hypnosis can be taken in the context of a close and trusting relationship.

The topic of hypnosis in the context of a romantic relationship and the sexual side of hypnosis is quite a large one, and there is much about it that I think is interesting and worthy of mature discussion. I first came across it through my pursuit of information about improving my own abilities as a subject, but there are other areas that I will discuss in subsequent posts.

This isn't an erotic hypnosis blog though, so don't hold your breath for anything too risqué. I have no intention of publishing explicit material on BlackMeridian; if you want explicit go and visit the Internet.

No comments: