Pages

Friday 10 July 2009

Start early, if you can!

There are times when I wish that I had access to a time machine. In particular I wish that I could go back about 10 years and tell my younger (pre-university) self a few useful pieces of information.

In particular I would tell my younger self to go out and learn how to be a hypnotist.

There is a good reason for this, which is that back then my ablities at being able to understand, empathise with, and get into rapport with other people was pretty poor. Even now I still don't see myself as any kind of master or expert in a social situation, but in comparison... well, there is no comparison. I believe that a little knowledge of hypnosis has made an enormous and positive difference to my life and the way I think; a change that in some respects I could have done well with years before.

For example, I also used to fall into the trap, when women were concerned, of believing the evidence before me; which was that none of them were ever interested, and therefore that something was very wrong with me. A self-fulfilling downward spiral, and not an uncommon situation as far as I've been able to tell. In the end this spiral was broken, not by me, but by someone else seeing things inside me that at the time I couldn't.

Nowadays knowing a lot more about unconscious signals, the nature of confidence and the importance of a healthy sense of self worth, I can't help but wonder how different things would be if I found myself single and free to approach women again.

(This is also in a dream universe where the concept of single women isn't just an absurd myth perpetuated by wishful thinkers)

In any case, I am very happily spoken for these days so the above line of thought is more than little bit trivial.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that for someone who has always been far more interested in science and engineering than anything people related, developing the peripheral abilities needed to perform hypnosis has a significant effect on other parts of ones life, and I would say that this is reason enough on its own to take the time to learn.

By performing hypnosis I mean meeting people and hypnotising them face to face as opposed to text hypnosis over the internet - but that's another post.

My younger self could have benefited from what I know now, but I guess anybody could say that at any time in their lives; the most important thing is that my present self has learned those lessons and is getting the benefits. I hope anybody else who reads this and decides that they also want to learn hypnosis will discover the same.

No comments: