Pages

Tuesday 14 April 2009

Trance of the month

Apologies for the lack of posts so far this month. There has been quite a frustrating and almost demoralising lack of any hypnotic activity for me in the last couple of weeks, as hypnotist or subject, and that has curbed my enthusiasm somewhat.

In fact, with my girlfriend out of the country for over a month and many of my friends having gone away for Easter, a lack of hypnosis seems to have been the least of my worries. I have felt more in danger of turning into some kind of hermit. It was to this end, faced with a four day Easter weekend of moping on my own in my flat, that I decided that I really should get out and do something.

What I did do was pull out my bike and clock up 125 road miles over 3 days.

Now, I have recently read and heard some of Igor Ledochowski's comments on exercise and how it relates to trance and they explain a great deal to me. Essentially what he says is that when someone is able to go out jogging, say, and enjoy the experience it is because they are able to access an altered state of mind as they are doing it; they are in a trance, and of course trance feels good.

I have never been able to enjoy jogging or running any distance because it hurts too much, but cycling? Now we're talking!

I doubt many people would immediately see the link between getting on a bicycle and riding 50 miles for fun and hypnosis. Indeed I expect most people would be shocked at finding the words "bicycle", "50 miles" and "fun" in the same sentence. It seems to me though that the more I practice going into trance as a hypnotic subject the more I am able to enjoy going out and riding my bike, especially if I'm out on my own.

I know for sure that I am accessing trance as I ride along. I can leave the concerns and worries of everyday life behind and it feels good just to focus on the road ahead; think about the next bend, the next hill. Before I know it I will roll up to my front door after one of my epic tours of South Oxfordshire and wonder where on earth the last 4 hours went.

It was after one of these long rides yesterday that I was also able to conclusively prove to myself another of Ledochowski's observations, quite by accident. In the Deep Trance Training Manual Vol.1 he says that one of the many things that can induce trance is the release of tension. This could be anything from simply allowing the subject's hand or arms to drop to their lap in the 8-word or magnetic hands inductions, to the effect that someone experiences after a prolonged period of exercise.

Yesterday I had just such an experience. I got back with 51.5 miles showing on the cycle computer feeling pretty good but physically exhausted and, being drenched in sweat, decided that a bath was in order. My body was tired but my brain was very active so I just lay there relaxing, enjoying the warmth, eyes closed, letting my thoughts wander... and before I knew it I slipped into a trance. This was without any outside suggestions or any deliberate effort on my part. It simply happened.

It was probably one of the deepest trances I've ever had too. A whole 45 minutes seemed to pass in a heartbeat as I lay there. Before I started learning about hypnosis I might mistaken what happened for falling asleep, but having had a few deeper trances before now I was able to recognise the sensation. Besides, falling asleep in the middle of the day never leaves me feeling that alert or refreshed afterward.

It was quite an incredible experience, and something tells me it won't be long before I'm back in the saddle.

Trance of the month. Look! No hypnotists!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The trance state you go into while jogging is what joggers call "runners high". Hit that and it feels like you could run forever.

Wilcard

Unknown said...

I bet that could be accessed or suggested for those that need/want more motivation to go to the gym (or other exercise)! I know one the main reasons I don't is because I don't find it interesting - in fact quite the reverse...

Andy Mitchell said...

Hi again

In the 'runners high' endorphines are released which gives a sense of well-being in some or in others a high. Part of it's role is to act as a natural pain killer and is very useful when the activity causes stress on the human body.

Some research has suggested that endorphines are released during meditation or some trance states.

thanks

Andy
Your Hypnotist