Pages

Tuesday 24 March 2009

More fun with accents

Just some remarks on some more of my recent hypnosis experiences.

I may have mentioned a couple of times that I do love using hypnosis to play with accents, or more specifically adding an accent to people's voices. This works well as a hallucination, and I have had more than a couple of people hear my voice in various accents. I have so far been perfect in my portrayal of, to name but a few, Irish, Scottish, Yorkshire, Geordie, and lovable cockney rascal dialects. That is to say I have in the subject's head; anybody else listening would not have known the difference. The cockney accent was especially amusing for me as it was the result of someones subconscious assigning to me the accent they considered most appropriate. I think I will have to do that one more often, although it is a bit strange talking to someone who is laughing because of the way you're speaking but having no idea where in the world you're supposed to be from. Although if comedic effect is the intention perhaps a Jamaican saying "Ee bah gum lad!" would work.

More recently I have had fun reversing this concept and having subjects "stuck" speaking in an accent, much to their self-conscious amazement. At last month's HypnoMeet I did this to Darren, who has considerable talent in his work as a voice over artist, to extremely good effect. His Irish, and then South African accents were both impeccable and he seemed absolutely astounded bu what was coming out of his mouth.

I will more often than not I will gravitate toward an Irish accent, and this is because it is probably my favourite accent, although having been to Edinburgh a number of times I do also like the Scottish accent. I think the love of the Irish accent comes in part from the associations it conjures up. I do own all of the Corrs' albums for example, and there's just something about the image of a beautiful but pensive dark haired young woman with the long dress and the dreamy eyes...

Sorry, got distracted there, where was I...

Oh yes, I really do like the Irish accent, and I guess that's why. Well, that and I've always enjoyed watching Father Ted. So yes, I have had a lot of fun with accents recently, and Irish has featured centre stage.

Unfortunately all of this backfired at the weekend; someone zapped me under and decided to use one of these suggestions on me.

Now, anybody who has ever heard me even attempt any accent will know that this is the time to remember to bring ear plugs. My accents are so bad they are a whole new definition for the word horrendous. Truly they are!

Every so often over the last few months I have an experience that demonstrates just how much hypnosis is starting to work for me, and this suggestion was certainly one of them. Sure enough when I opened my eyes and started talking everything I was saying was coming out in an Irish accent. It was just sort of happening instinctively and no matter what I thought or said I couldn't speak in any other way! Even more strangely the accent was awful, which for me is considerable improvement from my usual depths of über-atrocious!

What occurred to me is that for most people speaking in an accent is something that happens quite naturally, as in it's not a conscious process but rather a subconscious one. This is why, I think, my attempts to put on an accent deliberately are so unquestionably dire. It seems to make sense that letting my subconscious get on with the process of turning Parkeyspeak into an Irish dialect without conscious interference will produce a much more natural result. Knowing this who knows perhaps, over time, I can improve my accents.

This has been another eye-opener regarding the effects hypnosis can have on me and an interesting experience too, although perhaps I might just keep my mouth shut if anyone tries it on me again.

1 comment:

SensitiveForSomeone said...

sorry this isn't about about your post,but im Apskaft at uncommonforum... and i cant find you msn anywhere xD wanna add me? tahias_r@hotmail.com... MSN only... for mailing... don't use this one