Pages

Wednesday 25 March 2009

Michael Caine

This is an analogy that has been floating in the back of my mind for quite a while but for some reason it resurfaced in the last couple of days when I tried my hand at writing a trance script.

There is a scene in one of the Austin Powers films (the third one I think) in which Michael Caine, who is playing the role of a sort of "I was thwarting supervillains before James Bond was even born" secret agent, simply talks one of Dr Evil's henchmen into falling over and dying. After all, he's mowed down hundreds of nameless henchmen over the years, what chance would this one guy standing there on his own have? It would be easier all round if he gave in to the inevitable and just lay down straight away, without even a shot being fired.

It strikes me that this "Michael Caine effect", if you'll pardon the expression, is present in many good hypnosis inductions. I believe it is also known by some as "Awe Rapport". Either way it is very, very effective, even if it's only something that the hypnotist says to themself internally.

"From this moment I'm the hypnotist, you're the subject, and you know what happens next. I've hypnotised hundreds, thousands of people before you came along. What chance do you think you have, really? You are going to go under and we both know it. Look at you, you're already half way there! Why not make it easier on yourself and just go into trance now! That's it, just close your eyes and let yourself drift all the way down..."

...and that's the Michael Caine induction!

3 comments:

Lizzidoll said...

I'm liking the sound of this induction, and it does seem to mirror the "I am the hypnotist" silent pep-talk that 'tists give themselves.

I thought I'd correct you though, Caine's effect doesn't cause the guy to die, merely makes him lie down on the ground and feign death, simply putting up no resistance. The bemused expression upon his face though is priceless!

Parkey said...

Hmmm, I bet not a lot of people know that!

Which reminds me. (En)Rich, if you read this, next time you go hypnotising girls in Oxford remember you're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!!

Joe said...

Thanks for sharing. It's a great way to magnify the whole confidence and attitude thing. I'm going to use this!