Pages

Sunday 16 May 2010

Don't blink!

A short post today. I'm sat at a coffee shop in Manchester Piccadilly station enjoying a hot chocolate before I catch my train back to Oxford. I love travelling!

Anyway, I thought I'd write a few words about an induction I've been experimenting with recently.

A year or so ago I remember Darren telling me about an induction that he had been shown by the legendary hypnotist John Cerbone on a course in Manchester. Darren was in fact the person that John used for his demonstration in front of the group, and luckily for those of us who weren't there someone was filming at the time.



This is what I have heard referred to as a "power induction", an induction that works purely on the effect of the hypnotist's projection of their confidence and their intent to hypnotise. I would also argue that a subject's willingness and ability to go into trance plays a part of course, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a poweful induction if one feels confident enough to use it.

Cerbone's induction basically establishes expectation by telling the subject they'll go straight into hypnosis the next time they blink, an action which is of course inevitable. He contends that blinking represents a natural pattern interrupt, a moment between thoughts into which a hypnotist can push a suggestion. He also, of course, hammers it home by shouting "sleep!".

I like this induction but I've been approaching it from a slightly different direction. I've only really used it as a re-induction with people I have hypnotised before, but perhaps one day I might try it as a first induction if I feel confident enough.

What I do is look the subject in the eye and say "look at me. That's good. Now, as you look at me try not to blink."

What this does is focus the subject's conscious attention on something, which is the effort required to not blink. From this point on they aren't giving everything I say their complete attention. 

Keeping my eyes locked on theirs I then say "In a moment you are going to blink. When you do your eyes are going to stay closed; you'll let your whole body relax and go into a deep trance."

From this point on it's simply a case of meeting their gaze and waiting for them to drop like a sack of potatoes when they inevitably have to drop their eyelids, which is fun because it's hard to anticipate the exact moment. The hypnotist's stare is useful - focus on the bridge if their nose, not their eyes. You can also help by nodding almost imperceptibly every time their eyes almost close.

I haven't needed to cry "sleep!" at any point, which is good because as I said guessing the right moment can be difficult.

Give this induction a try. I think it's brilliant.

No comments: