Pages

Thursday 18 December 2008

Self hypnosis

I've just had quite an interesting experience that I thought I'd write about.

This evening I decided that I'd give self hypnosis a bit of a try. By now I'm used to progressive relaxation inductions and deepeners and their associated patter, so I decided to just sit down, relax and go through that sort of thing in my own head.

So, sitting in my favourite PoƤng (thankyou IKEA) I just concentrated on feeling relaxed, let my breathing become regular, and tried to access the relaxed state I'd been in a couple of times on Sunday. Then I concentrated on just imagining my right hand getting lighter and lifting up.

Breathe in - hand feeling lighter, breathe out - going deeper, breathe in - hand feeling lighter, breathe out - going deeper...

I was very quickly aware of my hand actually feeling lighter, but it was only after what felt like a couple of minutes when I first noticed a twitch in my fingertips. They were lifting! This continued for another minute or so with my fingers moving upward with little jerks of movement that told me that I'd actually made my hand cataleptic. It was a weird sensation too, as though my joints were actually creaking.

By the time I felt I'd had enough my fingers had only moved a few millimetres but the actual distance was irrelevant. It was enough to convince me that something was happening.

I'm going to have to try this self hypnosis thing a bit more often. Perhaps I should see if I can raise my hand above my head sometime.

4 comments:

IsaacBD said...

Nice one :) I hope upwards was the only direction it was moving...

Parkey said...

Gah! You worry me sometimes.

Jeffrey Stephens said...

There is no such thing as self-hypnosis. While it is possible to induce oneself, once that has been accomplished, there is no one left home to give the instructions.

I use auto-hypnosis with recordings. I can induce myself VERY deeply with just a short phrase. So I make a recording with whatever I wish to do with hypnosis, leaving a few seconds on the front to give me time to do the induction.

4k33m said...

Jeff, you seem pretty sure of this, don't you? I can say from past experience, self hypnosis *is* possible, at least to a degree. I agree that at some point, conscious thought may cease (somnambulism) but otherwise, it's fully possible