Pages

Friday 25 September 2009

Neurology and models

This topic is one that has come up recently on uncommonforum and much of this post is lifted from my contributions on there, so apologies to any readers who find parts of this familiar.

Consider why is it that only 1 in 5 people will respond strongly enough to hypnosis to, in the words of Kev Sheldrake, "do anything and forget everything", and indeed what is it that prevents the other 4 in 5?

My understanding of this is that it is all about neurology. For the sake of argument consider that all human thinking is made up of a mixture of critical and uncritical thinking. Some people naturally think predominantly in a way which exercises the uncritical parts of the brain, needed for deep hypnosis, much more so than others and thus when they meet a hypnotist the right neurology exists for good response to hypnotic suggestion. This way of favouring a particular way of thinking is a preference a lot like whether or not someone favours their left or right hand; most people naturally favour critical or uncritical thinking to a greater or lesser extent.

To draw an analogy, imagine asking a right handed person to write calligraphy with their left hand and regardless of their eloquence, vocabulary, wit, style and indeed their finesse writing with their favoured hand, the result of their efforts on the paper will be less than impressive. My point is that one will get a similar result when trying to hypnotise someone with a notable preference for critical thinking.

However, given enough time and practice, any right handed person can learn to write with their left hand. If the right hand is especially dominant this may take a long time, but it is always possible. This is why I believe that anybody can be deeply hypnotised given enough practice. It's simply a case of exercising that part of the brain and building up the required neurology.

Now of course I have only been a hypnotist for a year, so it would be extremely arrogant of me to push the above reasoning as any kind of objective truth. I have to stress that this is merely my model, which is based on my limited experience and understanding.

There are those who disagree with this model. For example, Ben White insists that there must be an easier way for someone to improve as a subject; truth be told I want to believe his argument because if it were true it would get me where I want to go a lot faster.

Then of course there's the argument that my model holds true for me, of course it does, merely because it's what I believe.

Joe, on uncommonforum, puts the argument that the reason I do not respond well to hypnosis is that I perceive it as losing my rationality and critical thinking, which is a part of myself that I treasure so deeply it makes me quite unwilling to turn that part off even temporarily. He suggests that I might even be afraid to do that. In this case presumably the belief that I need to learn how to be hypnotised in order to go deep is a mechanism that my subconscious has conjured up that would allow me to, using an analogy, lower myself into the cold water gently.

Given the way the mind works I have to say that I cannot discount this as a possibility. I am skeptical though.

For starters I know of other people who have developed their ability to be hypnotised over time. People who are far less restrained than me, and certainly much more willing to be submissive to another given the nature of their interest in hypnosis.

Secondly, Joe cited a line I wrote in a recent blog post:

"When I first tried to be a hypnotic subject I really wanted it to work, I will also confess that I was afraid that it would too, which was part of the excitement of it."

This line, separated from the context I wrote it in, can easily be taken out of context. Even so, I will admit that perhaps there is an element of fear in the excitement that I associate with the idea of experiencing deep hypnosis. There's an element of fear in my feelings about rollercoasters too; that's why I have a deep seated desire to go and ride on them, as many as I can!

There's a ride at Drayton Manor Park in Staffordshire called Apocalypse that, once you're helplessly locked into the harness, will lift you 54 metres above the ground, tilt you forward and have you plummet earthwards in a terrifying freefall. It scares the crap out of me, and yet I lose count of how many times I've gone back for more!

I do not believe that fear is an inhibiting factor for me.

I do value the way in which my mind works, including my critical and analytical nature, because over the years I have learned to feel good about who I am. In my opinion to do so is crucial to living a happy life. That, however, does not mean that I am not interested in or driven by the prospect of expanding the scope of my abilities and bettering myself.

So I may be building neurology I don't yet have, or I may be learning to trust a part of my mind that already exists, maybe I really am slowly overcoming some alleged inexplicably well hidden deeply held fear, or even something else yet again. Perhaps this is all just a question of terminology. At the end of the day whatever the label I or others choose to attach to the way in which my abilities as a hypnotic subject are developing what it is that really matters to me is that they are developing.

2 comments:

Cufflink said...

Parkey,

First of all, thanks for your stimulating and thought-provoking blog. I always look forward to reading your stuff.

Your latest post has inspired me to ask some questions I’ve had on my mind for a while.

I’ve been following your quest to become a better hypnotic subject with interest, since I’m pretty much in the same boat: I’m a decent hypnotist but a poor subject. (You’ve come further than I have as a subject. By the way, did you ever read “The Search for Bridey Murphy”? In the early parts of the book, the hypnotist, Morey Bernstein, details his quest to experience hypnosis himself; he even goes so far as to try oxygen restriction in hopes of achieving a state where he can go under—to no avail.)

But my question is, WHY do you want to experience hypnosis? That’s the obverse of a question I asked earlier: Why do you want to be a hypnotist? But I believe the two are related.

Think what we do when we engage in typical “demonstrational hypnosis.” We try to get our subjects to the point where they can’t open their eyes; they can’t get out of their seat; they can’t remember the number four or their own name; they can’t unstick their hand from the table or their forehead; they can’t reach for a pile of money that would be theirs if they only touched it. Can’t, can’t, can’t. Hypnosis becomes a means of limiting, not enhancing, ability, of being controlled by another to such an extent that your everyday powers of thought and autonomy are seriously restricted. Why should you or I or anyone else want to experience that? What’s appealing about it?

One answer, I suppose, is self-discovery—the intellectual interest in finding out about your own capacities and vulnerabilities. For hypnotists, there’s also the utility of experiencing what our subjects experience, with the potential of that first-hand knowledge making us better hypnotists. But I wonder if there’s something more basic going on. I wonder if the major appeal of hypnosis for subjects is the risky and scary but exciting prospect of handing over a good deal of your autonomy to another, submitting, and being controlled. I’m no psychoanalyst and I don’t know where the appeal of such submission comes from—for many it clearly has an erotic component—but I think it’s a large, although usually unconscious, motivator for subjects. For some reason, the experience of being controlled is simply very exciting to a lot of people. (And by the same token, the experience of controlling is very exciting to a lot of hypnotists.) Do you think that’s it in your case? Or is it something else?

One final thought: Is there anything we can do in our demonstrations to enhance rather than restrict the abilities of our subjects, so that they’re MORE rather than LESS competent human beings while they’re under? For people without a conscious or unconscious desire to be controlled, the promise of enhanced abilities could be a strong motivating factor in getting them to give hypnosis a try.

As always, I’m interested in your thoughts.

Parkey said...

Thanks for the comment Cufflink.

What you ask is a very good question and I think my response deserves a whole post to itself, which I'll get round to writing soon.